Powered By Blogger

Followers

Knitting Websites

When you learn anything, you need help. For some people it takes more time to learn a concept than another. Some learn from seeing, others learn from reading, still others from hearing. Regardless of how you learn, I hope you will find these websites helpful in your quest to learn about knitting.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/
This website has videos for how to cast on and how to do the knit and purl stitch both English and Continental style. They have some free patterns. I really like their section on increases and decreases because they tell you the why and what.

Knit Picks
Be very careful with this website! Unless I'm buying yarn from a local yarn shop, this is where I get it. I find that they have good prices on yarn and they have high-quality yarn. They have free patterns, a great book selection, tools to buy, and yarn, yarn, yarn! I blame them for my overflowing box of yarn. They are the reason I have a yarn addiction (I love this website). Now I just need to find the time to knit the yarn I've bought!

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/
This is an amazing website. They have tons of free patterns and they are categorized and easy to find. The best part is that they are all free :) They also have a knitting instructions directory, which is also very helpful.

Ravelry
You have to register to enter the site, but then you have access to tons of great patterns (many free ones), yarn, a forum, etc. It's a great community for knitters!


Lion Brand
This website has a huge selection of yarn and patterns. While it seems to be a more commercial yarn, I have actually been quite pleased with their quality and they have thousands of free knitting and crochet patterns (and the recommended yarn to sell you). It's a great place for beginners to grow and for any knitter to find great projects.

Planet Purl
This is a great knitting community. By becoming a member (which is free), you have access to live web sessions of how to knit certain projects, or knitting techniques. They have archived videos too, which are helpful. They have a yarn shop finder, patterns, knit-alongs, and book suggestions. It's pretty awesome.

Caron
Whenever I go to Michael's or Joann's, this is the brand of yarn I usually buy (along with Lion Brand). Their Simply Soft is very soft and I've knit many a project with it. This website also includes free knitting and crochet patterns.

Rowan
Rowan makes high-quality yarns. They also have a beautiful collection of free knitting patterns. Check it out!

Daily Knitter
This website has free patterns everyday. I haven't used any yet, but I'm glad to know it's there.

Entrelac
I haven't yet attempted entrelac, but this website really breaks down the steps and I will use it to learn how to do entrelac. I will let you know how that goes! I'm going to try in June I believe.

Knitty
Again, I haven't had time to try any patterns, but it's another great source of knitting patterns. They have book reviews and techniques as well.

Dog Patterns
If you have a dog and have a desire to knit him/her something, this is the website to use! There are some free patterns and they have TONS of dog sweater ideas.

Knit N Style
This is one of my favorite knitting magazines. I have used three patterns from them so far. They have a great selection for women and men and I even found a sweater pattern for my boyfriend that he actually likes! There are free patterns on the website as well.

Vogue Knitting
It's a classic: they have great books, free patterns, patterns to buy, yarn finders, and books. One cool aspect that they have is that you can make your own knitting book by picking and choosing patterns that they have available. They are a little expensive, but they have some ornate and beautiful patterns. You can also subscribe to their magazine here.

Tatting
I am very interested in lace knitting, though it takes me forever! When I described lace knitting to one of my friends, she told me about tatting. While I haven't tried it, this website looks pretty cool. It also has free knitting patterns and tutorials for tatting.

And these are all the websites that I have used. Did I leave out your favorite? Please leave a comment and let me know! I'm always looking for new knitting websites!

Happy knitting!

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?