Powered By Blogger

Followers

Knitting and Technology

Hi, fellow knitters!

I was reflecting on knitting and technology, which seems to be a paradox, complete opposites. However, I realized that technology has been essential in teaching me how to knit. My grandmother only taught me how to cast on, knit, purl, and cast off (which was a blessing indeed!). However, in order to progress, I needed to learn how to purl and knit in the same row, knit in the round, increase and decrease (know which ones, too!), various cast-ons, how to use double pointed needles, and how to color knit, to name some techniques. The internet was essential for this. In the near future, I will write a blog that includes my personal favorite websites and what you can find on them.

For the basics, Youtube has been a great help. Some knitting pictures of techniques can be difficult to copy, but youtube really helped me to visualize the hand motions. I also watched the same video over and over and over again.

Lastly, the ipad has apps that are useful for knitting. On flipboard, you can make a "magazine" that includes a bunch of knitting blogs and websites. Who knew? The Kindle can also show knitting books, though the ebooks on knitting are very limited. The possibilities for technology and knitting are basically endless.

So I suppose knitting and technology isn't really a paradox...

Happy knitting!

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?