Powered By Blogger

Followers

Innocent, Little...

"Innocent, little Lily."

This phrase has remained mostly unchanged for my entire life. Sometimes "naive" will be added to the list of adjectives. However, I have changed a lot since elementary school when this description was first given to me. Granted, I'm not much taller than I was when I was eleven, but people have called me "little" even when they are barely taller than me. Still, I wonder what it is about that causes people to assume I am "innocent" and "little."

In the United States, I agree that I am on the short side, but I am not abnormally so. In Spain and Italy, I am about average height. Therefore, "little" is somewhat applicable, but not a unique and essential characteristic.

Secondly, and perhaps more problematic, the adjective "innocent." According to the dictionary, "innocent" means "free from moral wrong; pure; guiltless; not involving evil intent or motive." Yes, on one level, this is a good adjective for me. As a Catholic, I go to church every weekend and confession regularly. These are some of the ways I try to be "free from moral wrong." In addition to this, I try to be a good person. I also avoid "evil intent or motive." However, there is also the connotation of naivete with this word, and that is the aspect that I resent. I am not naive. I am well-traveled, have many experiences, and I have street smarts. This may be in contradiction to many out there who feel a need to protect me. That is not the case. I appreciate your concern, but I do not need your protection. I can take care of myself. The only thing I would appreciate is your support.

This phrase is normally delivered with a note of condescension. I am no longer a small, five-year-old girl in need of a guide. I am self-supporting and have lived by myself. I work hard and achieve my goals. Please do not underestimate me and condemn me to a life of eternal childhood. Sometimes I engage in activities that are childlike, such as eating cookie dough and eating brown sugar straight. However, I am now an analytical, independent adult. Please treat me as your equal.

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?