Powered By Blogger

Followers

Being Sick

As a teacher, I do look forward to long weekends. They mean that I can actually relax and enjoy myself rather than prepare for the following week. Of course, I get sick during this break. Although it's quite convenient to be sick on a weekend because I don't have to worry about a substitute, etc., I still don't like it.

While my fever got higher and my nose became more congested, I knew that I would have to actually relax. Therefore, I took a full day to simply recover. It was during that day that I realized that my hobbies are perfect for being sick: knitting, reading, and writing. I finished reading that week's New Yorker, read more of Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James, and knit up a bit of my shawl. While some may consider knitting "work," I found it quite enjoyable and relaxing.

I hate feeling like I'm not productive; I always want to feel like I'm using my time wisely. Being sick always reminds me of my mortality and that it is wasting my time here. I find that knitting allows me to use every second I have wisely. Someone will use my knitwear. For how long? Who knows, but I'm not wasting any time. Being sick may slow me down professionally, but I'm lucky that I have a hobby that lets me be productive even when I shouldn't be.

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?