Powered By Blogger

Followers

San Francisco

San Francisco is a beautiful city. I was lucky enough to be born across the bay and spend time here as a child. Now that I live elsewhere, I look at San Francisco differently, but certain childhood opinions stay with me.


Before moving to the desert, overcast days and fog didn't bother me. As long as it wasn't too hot, I was happy. I do remember that I loved driving through the fog; that it felt safe, like nature was wrapping me in a blanket that made me invisible to the world. Even the streetlights with the red and green halos seemed to be more of a memory than a reality.

Driving through the fog yesterday, I still had that left over sensation of safety, but now that I have experience driving and I know how dangerous it can be to drive in fog, I felt more tense. This time, rather than feeling the privilege of being hidden by the fog, like wearing an invisibility blanket, it made me feel isolated, alone, and depressed. It felt like I was on this journey through life and no one else existed or was there to comfort me. I was on my own. While part of me still enjoys the fog, I know that I could never live here again; I need the sunlight. It's been four days and not seeing the sun has already gotten me down. I am officially, and proudly, a desert rat.

Now, as I look out of my grandmother's window, who has a great view of the city and the bay, it is still overcast. However, like the rain, the fog seems to have taken out all of the impurities from the air and I am able to see San Francisco in a crisp, fresh way. Only a shining sun could make this picture perfect.


On the bright side, I did go to ImagiKnit, a famous knitting store here. I will write more in a future blog. Suffice it to say, seeing all the yarn made me giddy.

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?