Powered By Blogger

Followers

Moving!

It's incredible how much you find when you clean everything out--and I'm only 24 and have lived in this apartment for 2 years!

I love my apartment complex: it's close to everything and it's quiet. My apartment is the perfect size. However, this year some neighbors moved upstairs and didn't take the time to report two leaks: one in their bathroom and one in their kitchen. I did though! right after the leak started raining in my kitchen and bathroom. That was strike one. It happened again a month later, strike two. Then I started to get picky. There's a space between my door and the frame, so leaves and bugs get inside. Not the best. We also live right across from my boyfriend's friend, but I don't like that guy and I was not looking forward to seeing him weekly starting in August.

So, with my dad's help, I went to talk to the manager. In our same complex, there was an upstairs apartment with a view of my favorite mountains. Same size, same price, no bugs, no irresponsible upstairs neighbors, etc. The only catch was that I would have to move out by myself and there's a lot of big furniture. Well, I decided to hire some people to do the work for me. There, stress gone. Yes, I'll still move the little stuff, basically any one object under 40 pounds, but that's much easier. Another issue is that I'm going to Spain in seven days! As soon as I get back, I have to start moving. Did I mention that I'm working 8-3:30 every day?

This afternoon I started cleaning and organizing. I moved everything that I wanted to keep and consolidated it. I went through my drawers, got rid of some stuff, and organized the rest (I have much less clothes than I thought!). I cleaned out the bathroom, basically putting everything in bags in the bathroom closet, which I am in the process of organizing. I am moving from one side of the apartment to the other. Anything I'm not taking to Spain will go in a bag. Hopefully I'll be done by Saturday and can concentrate on packing on Sunday/Monday evening.

Going through closets, I found PJs from six years ago when I started college. There was the clothing that I kept in the hopes that I might fit into it one day. I found toiletries that I haven't used in two years, some shower gels that had definitely gone bad, and a whole bunch of make-up that I could use, but I just don't. It's amazing how much I've accumulated since I've left my parents' house! And it's amazing how much I don't use. I use about 1/3 of what I have.

 On the down side, I learned this lesson two years late. On the upside, I now know that I don't need anything and I have more than enough. Although I was never much of a consumer, I will now consume even less and really use everything I have before I go and buy something I either already have or don't need.

Charities, here I come!

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?