Powered By Blogger

Followers

Black Swan

Although many people had told me that I would be greatly disturbed if I watched "Black Swan," or that it would anger me due to the violence against women, last night I watched it. Yes, I was disturbed, but I kept watching. It also brought up many important ideas in our culture. It seems that women have always had to work extra hard to get recognition, especially when women started working when society was still a "man's world." In this film, it is still a man's world, yet the protagonist, who had already achieved perfection in order to get her dream role, is still not good enough. Like so many themes, she has to play the angel and the seductress, a role that ultimately destroys her. Conclusion? Extreme perfectionism leads to self-destruction.

So in America today, does that mean that perfection is bad? That instead we should only be passionate and not have perfect technique? I don't think so. Yes, I hear you: everything in moderation. It does make a point that with so much competition in our global economy, what, exactly, do the leaders want from their employees? Do they want perfection or passion? Intelligence or creativity? Do they want the whole package? Even if working 24/7 makes one the super-person, is sacrificing your personal life worth it?

"Black Swan" brings many current issues up: how hard women need to work to be successful, perfectionism, work ethic, and female to female interaction. I'm just hoping that reality is a little more optimistic that Aronofsky's perspective.

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?