Powered By Blogger

Followers

Evelina

I don't think I've had this much suspense in a 19th-century novel before, at least not a mystery novel. Francis Burney's Evelina kept me on the edge of my chair the past few days and I'm barely half-way through! She influenced Jane Austen, which was one of the reasons I am reading her work. It is clear that she influenced Austen: both are preoccupied with marriage and have mini soap operas going on. Just like in Pride and Prejudice, Evelina is concerned about first impressions, misgivings, and how to properly act in society. Burney is masterful at building suspense with Evelina's actions and decisions: just when you think she can't mess up more, she does! However, in the eyes of all, she remains perfectly genteel and sweet.

Half-way through the book, she changes her opinion of Lord Orville, who is the only decent bachelor in the book. As soon as I read her change of mind, I instantly turned my kindle off. I could not handle her messing this up to. I was not ready to read a tragedy for another hundred pages.

Two days later, I haven't read it again because I'm still not ready to see her majorly mess up. My boyfriend says it's like I'm addicted to a soap opera. Instead of reading it, I started reading another book. However, today I knew that the suspense would kill me if I didn't read Evelina again. But I was tricky: I took my paper copy and read the ending. I know, cheater. I'm like Harry in When Harry Met Sally. I won't tell you what happens, but I can continue reading again.

If you thought 19th-century literature was boring, definitely pick up this book!

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?