Powered By Blogger

Followers

Balancing Work and Life: The On-Going Challenge for Educators | Edutopia

Balancing Work and Life: The On-Going Challenge for Educators | Edutopia


I couldn't have said it better myself! As a second-year teacher, I'm really struggling with balance. Last year, I worked 60+ hours a week. When you spend 40 hours in a classroom, it's hard not to work at least 50 hours to plan classes and organized all of the papers--not to mention the grading!

Like Elena Aguilar, I am also working on finding balance.

1. I use Google calendar. I try to plan 1-2 friend meetings per week, which I know sounds minimal, but it's hard for me to budget fun time.

2. I exercise 4 times a week at my gym. I'm hoping to use the PS3 for Zumba, but the beginning of the year is too exhausting to do that just yet. I'll adjust.

3. Have 1-2 hours to spend with my boyfriend a day. That usually means a movie while I knit.

4. KNIT! I haven't been able to do this for a few days and it's bugging me! However, knitting is a great stress reliever and I look forward to it greatly.

5. Read. This year, my students are polite and respectful. So my days aren't tiring. However, I'm sure there will be those days when I just want to escape. That's when I look forward to pulling my book out.

6. Sleep. I do love it.

Now, I don't have time to do all of these things daily, but I focus a lot on my work and try to do as much as possible in as little time as possible. I wish I had the money for a house cleaner, but teacher salaries still need to improve in this state for that to happen! Nonetheless, having all of these relaxing options help me to work fast and to look forward to my time.

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?