Powered By Blogger

Followers

Purls Tucson

There are a few knitting shops in Tucson, AZ. They seem to be spread out pretty well to avoid competing with each other. Due to my location of town, I have always gone to Kiwi Knitting Company, which I am very happy with. They have workshops, great classes, and knowledgable and friendly staff.

I had never gone to Purls before because it was across town and I had heard that it was expensive. Since it is my friend's knit shop (the store she takes classes at, etc.), she invited me to the scarf club today. I went to see what it was like. It cost $5 for the monthly pattern with an in-depth explanation about how to knit it and how you can alter it. The yarn, if bought for the project, is also 15% off. Before I had been inside 2 minutes, two friendly staff greeted me and showed me what I needed. By the way, I had arrived late and the club was pretty full. By the time I got my yarn, everyone was doing introductions. There were varying levels, but the information was great for beginners through intermediates, possible advanced knitters. In that hour, Myra explained the pattern, taught yarn overs, the crocheted cast on, and a bind off with a backwards yarn over, which is stretchy and good for lace. She talked about weaving in the ends, knitting from two ends of a ball, and mixing colors. I picked her brain even more about other lace projects, and, of course, TKGA Level 1 cable swatch that I've been struggling with. Lastly, she explained noops (which sound like a real pain) clearly, which is hard to do, and even told me a trick to make it easier on the wrong side! Although there were many people there, she had no problem thoroughly answering my questions. She is incredibly knowledgable and friendly.

In regards to the cable, she suggested knitting one stitch, leaving it on the left needle, knitting the trouble stitch, then dropping both of them off. I finished that swatch already, but if I run into that problem again, I will definitely give it a go!

I don't think I've ever learned so much about knitting for only $5! It was a real steal. Now I need to figure out how I can fit Purls into my schedule more often. One thing is clear, I will be a regular member of the scarf club!

Happy knitting!

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?