Powered By Blogger

Followers

Edward Albee

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/06/136923478/playwright-edward-albee-defends-remarks

I listened to this on my way to work today. I thought that Albee made a very good point: unless a writer/artist/person is homosexual, his/her sexuality has nothing to do with his/her work. I never mention my sexuality in regards to my job, nor do my coworkers. I certainly would not say that my favorite writer is "straight Jane Austen" because that has nothing to do with her work.

On the other hand, I did find it interesting that there are no great plays in the USA that deal with homosexual issues. It will be interesting to see one emerge in the next years. I think that it would be wonderful to have a surge of new plays that are all vying to be the next best play in the US.

0 comments:

What do you most want to read about?